Friday, February 16, 2007

Scared to be an Atheist in India

I've been reading about Darwin's theory of natural selection, evolution and evolutionary psychology for a few years now. I am also an engineer by background and appreciate the scientific methods. I used to be an agnostic before this (the kind of agnostic about space aliens; basically didn't spent any time thinking about these issues). But after reading these subjects, it was not possible for me to be an agnostic anymore. I don't remember how and when it happened, but suddenly sometime late 2006, I suddenly realized that God does not exist. There was too much evidence staring in my face against God.

Then I started reading about Atheism and was pleasantly surprised that there are millions like me, which was very reassuring. I'll talk about these resources in some other post. I also started realizing the pain caused to humanity by religion. However, it was not until read Richard Dawkins' 'The God Delusion' that I got enough courage to come out of the closet and do something about it.

But frankly, I'm quite scared. Though by and large, India is a very tolerant society, there are lot of fundamentalists and extremists who can get away with murder. I'm scared to take any steps on educating people on atheism because I fear some religious group will issue a bounty on my head. Bounty is an overstatement. Somebody might just be inspired to break my bones for free.

So, I repeat, I'm scared. Now I'm thinking that I'll use subtle means to educate people about the evil effects of religion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pankaj,
Pretty interesting comment -
But frankly, I'm quite scared.
Please don't be, India has been always been a great place for an Atheist, rather atheists is considered to a sub-class of Hinduism and Jainism is almost based on this concept further it is considered the starting point in one's search to Truth ( not God?), one of the earliest schools of Indian philosophy (out of 6)was interpreted to start with this premise.
- Subodha

Anonymous said...

I agree, my story is very similar to yours. If someone really puts his mind to understand evolutionary theory, he can not be believing in god, at least the personal one. However tolerance that above post is suggesting is non existent in Indian society. All the religious folks use some abstract scriptures to prove how tolerant their religion is. Fact is that all religions are intolerant, only with a varying extent. Try making a Monty python in India and you will realize we are at least 100 years behind west in free and rational thinking, let alone becoming Richard Dawkins or Pat Condell. You will get killed!